Monday 22 October 2012

Koka Mama AW 12 Collection

 
I have the privilege of knowing the talented Tamara Hema. She is a wonderful person as well as a very talented women. Koka Mama, Tamara's maternity line is chic as well as practical. I'm so sad I didn't get the opportunity to wear her collection while I was pregnant. Maybe next time. 

I had a chat with Tamara about her collection, read below:


1.WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND? HOW DID KOKO MAMA COME ABOUT?
Having worked in the fashion industry for over 12 years as a womenswear and childrenswear buyer I felt there was a gap in the market for a more contemporary  maternitywear label; a label that escapes the tyranny of stretch jersey and has an emphasis on tailoring.

2. WHAT INSPIRED THIS SEASONS COLLECTION?
Aside from the pleasure of finding new colour palettes and fabrics, the inspiration behind this collection is the same for every KM collection: classic designs and fashion forward luxury that’s wearable throughout pregnancy and into motherhood.

3. LIVING IN LONDON, DOES THIS INSPIRE YOUR DESIGNS?
Absolutely. London is a great place for people watching, there’s such diversity and individuality everywhere you look.  I’m also lucky enough to go to Paris for fashion week so I acquire lots of inspiration just from being in Europe.

4.   WHAT MUSIC ARE LISTENING TO AT THE MOMENT? DOES MUSIC INSPIRE YOUR COLLECTIONS?
I’m enjoying listening to the wonderful  LA girl group Warpaint and the British act Kindness, which pretty much soundtracked my summer this year! Also, I’m very lucky in that my husband’s a DJ and is constantly playing me the latest underground music, so I’m sure it has some subliminal effect on the way I see things.

5.  IF YOU COULD COLLABORATE WITH ANYONE, WHO WOULD THAT BE?
Collaborating with Dries Van Noten would be a dream come true. Quite a few of the designs already work well  for maternity and I’m in love with Dries prints!

6.  DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL STYLE, DOES THIS INFLUENCE YOUR COLLECTION?
Contemporary, luxurious and comfortable – I would also use these three words to describe the Koka Mama aesthetic.

  7.  NOW EXPERIENCING PREGNANCY YOURSELF, HAS THIS CHANGED THE WAY YOU DESIGN YOUR LINE?
Yes, I found during the summertime that I wanted to wear longer dresses so there are a couple of new maxi dresses in the SS13 collection.

  8.  DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE SHOP, WEBSITE, CAFÉ THAT YOU LOVE TO VISIT OR THAT YOU GAIN INSPIRATION FROM?
Having recently moved to West London, my new favourite café is Pizza East on Golborne road, they do an amazing brunch. I also love the market vibe on Friday’s. Caravan in Exmouth Market is another fave for Saturday night dinners with friends. I love going to the Tate Modern and my favourite place to shop is at Liberty’s, I always find it to be an oasis of calm!

9. WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE DESIGNERS?
Dries Van Noten, UK designer Studio Nicholson, Acne and Jil Sander.  

10.   WHAT’S NEXT FOR KOKO MAMA, ANY FUTURE PLANS OR EXCITING NEWS?
I am just in the process of designing a Koka Mama baby bag, so watch this space!

11.   ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE US, ANYTHING THAT HELPS YOU WITH YOUR EVERYDAY DUTIES?
I drink a large glass of water before I do anything and try to have some morning meditation time.  I would be lost without my moleskin notebook, I like to write a list and cross things off as I go, it keeps my mind tidy and that’s essential now that I’m pregnant!

KOKA MAMA has launched their second maternity wear collection for AW12, tailored for mothers and mothers to-be. 
Tamara Hema, the founder of KOKA MAMA, is a New Zealander based in London with over 10 years of experience working in the fashion industry. Tamara understands first hand that women need to accommodate their bumps while also retaining their own personal style. For that reason Koka Mama offers classic styles season to season that work alongside current wardrobe pieces- before, during and after pregnancy.
After a successful first season, with fans including Sienna Miller, Koka Mama is excited to launch the AW12 collection. 
The must-have piece for this season is the coveted oatmeal lambswool cape dress. Perfect for layering it is stylish and easy to wear with a matching self-tie belt to give shape.  

Key pieces of the collection include:
The knitted tunic dress in navy is the ultimate piece to be worn for the office, running day to day errands or a special lunch date. Super flattering for all body shapes it has an A-line shape with two front pleats, three quarter length rolled sleeves and hidden side pockets.
The classic tailored shirt is collarless with cleverly cut panels giving a slight flare to accommodate the bump. Furthermore, it has side slits and front pleats for growth.
The ribbed track pant is super luxe with stretch perfect for everyday wear. Worn over the bump it has an elasticized waistband and details such as crisp cotton lined pockets.
The soft lightweight wool blend top is a wardobe essential. It has a three quarter sleeve and button detail. The front pleating feature allows plenty of room for growth.
Classics include the perfect skinny jean and the silk shirt dress. Luxury cashmere from Loro Piana including the cardigancape and oversized sweaters which will be staples within the Koka Mama collections. 
Koka Mama can be purchased at:
 online at koka-mama.com 
9 London
Harrods



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...